Tuesday 13 October 2015

MTV Video Music Award for Best Editing

MTV Video Music Award for Best Editing:

1984 - Rockit by Herbie Hancock

(I like the quirky robots/dolls that match the beat of the music via editing skills.)



1985 - Close (to the Edit) by Art of Noise

(I like the movement of the artists created by editing.)



1986 - The sun always Shines on T.V. by a-ha

(I like the graphics of this music video which overlap certain scenes.)



1987 - Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

(I like the quirky movement created via multiple individual stills placed together very cleverly during editing and the use of green screening.)



1988 - Need You Tonight/Mediate by INXS

(I like the overlapping of all the different shots at once.)



1989 - Straight Up by Paula Abdul

(I like the silhouetting of the performers and the blurred motion to emphasis their movement.)



1990 - Vogue by Madonna

(I like the transitioning form scene to scene.)



1991 - Losing My Religion by R.E.M

(I like the order of shots in this video and how it makes the camerawork that much more interesting to the audience.)



1992 - Right Now by Van Halen

(I like the titles of this video and how they vary in style, size and effect.)



1993 - Steam by Peter Gabriel

(I like the animation of this music video.)



1994 - Everybody Hurts by R.E.M

(I like the pace of this music video, as it reflects the beat of the music well.)



1995 - Buddy Holly by Weezer

(I like the old vintage filter which creates a fuzzy appearance with black dots and lines.)



1996 - Ironic by Alanis Morissette

(I like the duplicates of the artist for each up and down of the beat.)



1997 - Devils Haircut by Beck

(I like the transition from location to location, as the video stops and turns to a still, then continues.)



1998 - Ray of Light by Madonna

(I like the time lapse used within this music video.)



1999 - Freak on a Leash by Korn

(I like the graphic animation used in this video.)



2000 - Save Me by Aimee Mann

(I like the order of shots and how it keeps the artist the main focus.)



2001 - Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim

(I like the swift and unnoticeable transition from shot to shot.)



2002 - Fell in Love with a Girl by The White Stripes

(I like the Lego animation of this video.)



2003 - Seven Nation Army by The White Strips 

(I like the sizing used to display the performers and the lighting effect.)



2004 - 99 Problems by Jay-Z

(I like the speed and shakiness of the shots in this video.)



2005 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

(I like the sketchy vintage filter used to create the black crackles.)



2006 - Crazy by Gnarls Barkley

(I like the inked and mirrored effects used to produce this music video.)



2007 - Smiley Faces by Gnarls Barkley

(I like the desaturation of the actual performance music footage.)



2008 - I Will Possess Your Heart by Death Cab for Cutie 

(I like the blue lighting introduced over the performance.)



2009 - Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) by BeyoncĂ©

(I like the lighting effects applied over the shots.)



2010 - Bad Romance by Lady GaGa

(I like the order of shots and its speed to match the spectacle of the video genre.)



2011 - Rolling in the Deep by Adele

(I like the quick order of shots which helps emphasis the interesting camerawork, especially the multiple angles one clip was filmed at.)



2012 - Countdown by Beyonce 

(I like the split screening used, mirror effect and speed.)



2013 - Mirrors by Justin Timberlake

(I like the slow motion on some shots which helps represent the visuals and match the beat.)



2014 - Rap God by Eminem

(I like the graphic colours added to this music video.)



2015 - 7/11 by BeyoncĂ©

(I like the speedy editing to show Beyonce move from location to location in a fascinating style.)



Having looked at these music videos and their spectacular editing, I have been able to brainstorm many ideas to perhaps incorporate into my own music video. For instance the colours in Rap God by Eminem. But overall I have picked up on the speed of editing which makes the videos really fascinating to watch! I therefore would like to include editing this fast within my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment