Thursday 1 October 2015

My trip to Harry Potter World


When visiting Harry Potter World in Leavesden I got to experience the real life sets they used to produce the movies on, such as the Great Hall and the 9 3/4 Hogwarts Express platform and many more. This has helped inspire me for the setting and location choices for our music video, as I have come to understand the great amount of detail needed to supply a suitable set.


The most incredible set I saw at Harry Potter World was Diagon Alley, I felt that its size and detailing in the shops such as the sweet shop which had a girl stood in the doorway throwing-up sweets into a bucket saying "Puking Pastilles" and the props situated in the wizardry shop windows was very clearly thought out and proved effective.

Having gone to an actual camera shot class with some of the staff was very helpful as I was detailed in about the extent to which they went with props. For example some of the silicon body pieces cost about £5000 to make individually and they could only be used once or twice if lucky enough (but it was the detail in them; a werewolves chest piece had thousands of individually sown goats hair and the goblin hands had fine wool within them to form veins)! They also explained how each of the "Daily Prophets" were hand written with funny illustrations that link directly to jokes among the cast. For instance there was one advertisement about a bear bag directly aimed at Michael Gambon who needed a bag to cover his beard (as he would get his lunch in it when off set)! This shows how much care is taken when it comes to Mise En Scene! We got to see some other incredible Mise En Scene as well, my favourites being the giant spider, the Hogwarts's Express train!

But the most important thing I saw whilst there was the green screening examples, as I think this could be a good technique to incorporate in to my music video. There were lots of examples of green screening in the studio and videos which helped explained the technical process. We were also able to see the production of Eddie Redmayne's latest film "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" being filmed in the field next door where a large green screening area was set up with actual buildings that were being used for a set. The staff also explained how the production of "Pan" had just finished as well.

Another aspect I think was very important for me to look at whilst in the studio were the mini sets and drawings/ storyboards which were used to plan the film's production. I think using such planning would be really helpful when planning and storyboarding my music video, (as I know from last years thriller opening sequence) without a clear plan you will struggle to create your exact vision for the video.











No comments:

Post a Comment